
Today in our Intersession, we were learning about creating airplanes and how center of gravity (CG) effects them. We created planes today, we first had a "stock" plane, very plain (no pun intended) and boring. Later we got to modify our planes (plains).
Today our homework questions are...
1. What did we improve/ not improve to our modifications?
I tried to improve my glider by adding a wing ring to the back. Unfortunately, I quickly found out that Styrofoam is not very flexible, but I got a cool wing square. I had some trouble gluing on the square, but I eventually did it. I also created some wing slicers on my main wing, but they ended up being destroyed very quickly. My plane did not go far in the airplane launch, but did very well in the "throwing off the third story" launch. After the 3rd throw, my wing square had snapped off one side and was very limp. I tried to fix it but eventually gave up and took it off to recycle it into a samuri hat. I think what I did wrong with the plane is that I had too much weight in the back, and so it was weighed down.
2. Observation- What did we do to follow the scientific method?
Question- If our planes do not follow the rules of the Bernoulli Effect, how are they still flying?
Hypothesis- I don't think that all planes have to follow that rule, I think that it just has to be held up by air to fly.
Experament- Throw planes off of 3rd story.
Conclusion- Our hypothesis is correct and incorrect! The plane does fly without slanted wings, but it still makes the air on the top accelerate.

No comments:
Post a Comment